Musings From A Psycho Hosebeast Woman

Random thoughts, rants, and saucy romance stories.

Monday, April 12, 2004

I went to church yesterday. I know, no biggie right? Everyone and their brother goes to church on Easter. I think I am gonna keep going this time. It felt really good to be back, and the best thing is, no one shunned me or acted weird towards me because I haven't been going in 9 months. They took me back with open arms, and I already have a bridal shower in the works thanks to the gossiping old biddies in my ward. They were awesome. I had no plans for Easter other than, go to church, and go home. I was just going to feed the kids whatever I would normally feed them. That's the sucky part about not living near any family at all. Having no one to share holidays with really sucks. But whyile I was at church, I saw my visiting teacher Cheryl, and she and I were chatting up a storm. Then she asked me if I wanted to bring the kids over for Easter dinner. So we went, and had a really good time. Cheryl's son is exactly a month older than Hollie, so they love the chance to get to play with one another. There was also another family at Cheryl's house, and I knew the wife really well. We got to talking about wedding stuff, and she volunteered to help with all kinds of stuff. She is so awesome. She makes all of her children's clothes, and she offered to make Hollie's flower girl dress. I just have to pay for materials. I like Barb a lot, because she is one of the only people in the ward close to my age bracket. Everyone else is old. When I say old, I don't mean, like 60. I mean like, 90, 100ish. OLD OLD OLD. And the ward is very small here. There are only 3 young women. All the kids are off on their missions. I think we have 5 or 6 people from our ward out on missions right now. That's where everyone my age went, dangit. Having small church ward can be good and bad. It is awful when it comes to gossip. It is good when it comes to being a close knit family. I told one person at the very beginning of Sacrament that I was getting amried, and by th time Relief Society rolled around, the entire ward knew. It was kind of funny. I had wanted to tell them anyways, and it was very effective to tell the worst gossiping old biddy in the building. Ok, there are going to be a bunch of people who read this blog and won't have a clue what all this mormon jargon means. Let me try to break it down a bit.

Ward- no, not where crazy people go, it is a congregation, if you will. A group of people living in the same area who go to church together. There may be more than one ward in a town, and it split up based on where people live. Each ward has it's own bishop and all that good stuff.
Visiting Teachers- two women who have the responsibility of meeting with around 3 female members of the church each month. They come and visit with you and share a message with you and your family.
Sacrament Meeting- This is really sort of the equivalent to communion. The sacrament (or communion as some church's call it) is passed around and there are talks given.
Talks- Instead of having a pastor or preacher teaching the lessons during church service, the actual members give them. Talks are assigned to people in advance and you are goven a topic to speak on from anywhere between 10-20 minutes. I have given a talk before. It is really awesome, and you learn more studying for the talk than you would actually listening to one.
Relief Society-Relief Society is the auxiliary of the church created for women. It is now one of the oldest women’s organizations in existence and has been doing extraordinary things for more than 150 years.
I got that from an AWESOME website about it Relief Society
Any other questions about this stuff can either be directed towards me, or you can go to Mormon.org
I didn't mean to turn this blog entry into a churchy thang, but I felt compelled to do so. Hope you atheist blog reader's out there aren't offended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home